4.26.2009

Smith Island Cakes


Sorry I've been a little MIA this week. I just got back from a wedding (and some white water rafting) near Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania.

One of my best friends from high school, who is now an architect, married another architect, and they had their ceremony at Kentuck Knob and their reception at the Barn at Fallingwater.


Kentuck Knob and Fallingwater are houses designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The houses are both unique and beautiful, and the location was definitely meaningful for the bride and groom.


But this is a food blog so... on to the food!

The bride grew up in Maryland and decided to transport some Smith Island Cakes for the wedding cake. I had visited her in September and tried a few kinds while I was down there (Reese's, pineapple, and mandarin orange), and I was so excited to see the cakes at the wedding.

This wonderful dessert is made of super-thin layers of cake with frosting or filling between each layer. They are absolutely delicious -- so moist and flavorful. If you ever get the chance to try one, I highly recommend doing so!

We had cookies and cream...


...and Reese's.



Maybe one of these days I'll try to make one myself so I don't have to wait for my next visit to Maryland to have one!

Are there any regional foods that you love and that make you look forward to traveling just so you can have them again?