10.13.2012

Guest Post: Breakfast Pizza With Artichokes

From Olga of Mango & Tomato...

I've known Megan for over 2 years thanks to our passion for food. We met virtually because of our blogs but luckily got to meet in person and share an amazing meal at Toro during my trip to Boston. When Megan asked me to do a guest post while she's honeymooning in Italy, she suggested I keep to an Italian theme and possibly include a recipe with artichokes.

What's more Italian than pizza? Fortunately, I have a recipe for breakfast pizza that has artichokes on it! I hope you make this for your loved ones.

Here's what I did:

I preheated the oven to 525.

I then took a half of Boboli original Italian pizza crust and cut it into two pieces.

Each piece got a bit of roasted garlic tomato sauce, Monterey cheese, fresh arugula, and a border of artichoke hearts.

I then plopped an egg inside of the artichoke boarder, seasoned it with salt and pepper, added more cheese, and the pizza was ready to be baked.


I baked this breakfast pizza on top of parchment paper in a 525 degree oven for 15 minutes. I kept on waiting for the white of the egg to set.

Look what happened!!! The parchment turned completely black (luckily it did not catch on fire), the egg white finally set, but alas the egg yolk was no longer runny.


What did I do wrong? Well, I obviously had my oven set to too high of the temperature. I think something around 400 would have worked much, much better.


Although this wasn't the result I was hoping for (the egg yolk was cooked through), the rest of the pizza (and the idea itself) was rather successful. I think I shall try this technique again.

Congratulations to Megan and Jeff: wishing you many happy years together.