1.29.2013

Croques And Cocktails At Bistro Du Midi

Looking for something fun and inexpensive to do tonight? Every Tuesday at Bistro du Midi from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., you can find $5 specialty croque monsieurs. A croque monsieur is technically a hot ham and cheese grilled sandwich, but Bistro du Midi will offer variations on the classic. There will even be a weekly skinny croque. And if that's not enough, you'll find wine and cocktail pairings too.


I had the opportunity to preview this event a couple of weeks ago and sample both a specialty cocktail and a few of the croques. The skinny croque was easily my favorite with its filling of eggplant, zucchini, tomato, and pesto. The ham and cheese was a solid version of the classic. And the salmon, well, it wasn't for me, but you might like it.

Croque monsieurs at BIstro du Midi, Boston, Mass.

The cocktail that night was the Par Avion. I wasn't expecting to like it because one of the ingredients is Overholt Rye, and I'm not a big whiskey drinker, but I confess I even had a second one. The drink was sweeter than I expected and was quite citrusy. It was just the sort of drink you'd want on a chilly winter night... and just the sort of drink you'd want with a crisp, hot croque monsieur.

Par Avion at BIstro du Midi, Boston, Mass.
Par Avion
(Created by Bistro du Midi's Todd Lipman)
3/4 oz Old Overholt Rye
3/4 oz Aperol
3/4 oz Averna
3/4 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
Served Down with an Orange Round

If you like croques and cocktails and want to shake up your Tuesday nights a little, you'll want to check out Bistro du Midi's Croque Tuesdays!

This event was complimentary, but as always my opinions are my own.

What kind of croque would you like to try?